MacRae Graves at Clachan Duich
This ancient church overlooks Loch Duich inbetween Dornie and Shiel Bridge, near Morvich. Known as Clachan Duich or St Dubhthach’s church the graveyard contains many MacRae graves and even a memorial to the MacRae Clan Chief, Sir Colin George MacRae.
There is thought to have been a church on this site as early as 750 AD. In 1050 the church was dedicated to St Dubhthach . It is thought that the church was shelled by the ships that destroyed Eilean Donan Castle. The graveyard of this parish church of Kintail was reconstructed in 1855.Tagged