Castles in Ayrshire
Loudoun Castle is a ruined 19th-century country house near Galston, in the Loudoun area of Ayrshire, Scotland. The ruins are protected as a category A listed building. It was destroyed by fire in 1942, leaving only the roofless walled structure as seen in this photo:
During World War II, the grounds just to the south of the castle, a tree lined avenue, were used to house a small military camp which contained about 20 Nissen huts, reportedly used for training by the SAS (Special Air Service).
A tower house was built at Loudoun in the 15th or 16th century, and was extended in the 17th century. Edward Moore was custodian of Loudoun Castle in 1447. Around 1807, the present Loudoun Castle was built to designs by the architect Archibald Elliot. It was built as the home of the Countess of Loudoun and Moira (1780–1840). The house was gutted by fire in 1941. Belgian SAS paratroops were stationed at Loudoun Castle in 1944 during the Second World War.
Only the shell of the building remains. An amusement park was opened in the grounds in 1995, and closed in 2010.
A ley tunnel is said to run from Loudoun Castle, under the River Irvine, to Cessnock Castle over 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) to the south.
Loudoun, Craufuird, C. (2005). A History of the House of Loudoun and Associated Families. Alloway Publishing. p. 36. ISBN 0-907526-89-6.
In the News
10th August 2015
Blueprint for £450m development of Loudoun Castle
DEVELOPERS looking to revive the derelict theme park at Loudoun Castle have unveiled ambitious plans for a £450 million holiday and leisure complex at the 610-acre site.