The ruins of Drochil Castle lie around 6 miles north-west of Peebles in the Scottish Borders.
The lands of Drochil were held by the Douglas clan, and the construction of Drochil Castle began in 1578 by James Douglas, 4th Earl of Morton, around the same time that he had been forced to resign as Regent of Scotland for James VI.
The castle, however, was never completed. In 1581 Douglas was executed by the ‘Maiden’ – an early form of guillotine – and it was not even half-way finished at the time. The castle was four storeys high, and consisted of a garret. It was considered a palace as much as a castle, and the Earl of Morton intended to retire to Drochil.
The unfinished structure was purchased by William Douglas, 1st Duke of Queensberry, in 1686, and they are owned by his descendant Richard Scott, 10th Duke of Buccleuch, 12th Duke of Queensberry.