Kirkhope Tower

Kirkhope Tower

Kirkhope Tower

About a mile north-west of the Borders village of Ettrick Bridge, stands Kirkhope Tower, a restored four storey 16th century Peel tower (a fortified keep). The tower is believed to have been built sometime around 1535 by the Scotts.

The tower was burnt by the Armstrongs on behalf of the Duke of Suffolk, Charles Brandon, during the early stages of the Rough Wooing of Mary, Queen of Scots, by the English king, Henry VIII.

Kirkhope Tower was the childhood home of the notorious Border Reiver Walter ‘Auld Wat’ Scott of Harden, and it was him who rebuilt it.

Anne Scott, 1st Duchess of Buccleuch, came into possession of Kirkhope in the early 1700s, however, by the mid-19th century, the tower was neglected and it fell into a state of disrepair. It wouldn’t be for over a hundred years before the strong hold was rescued from ruin and turned into a private residence.

Clans connected with Kirkhope Tower

Clan Scott