Clan Auchinleck History
The name Auchinleck is also found as Affleck, Auchinlec, Haghenlek, Aghleke, Achenleck, and Aathelek and originates from the barony of Auchinleck in Ayrshire.
The origins of the name Auchinleck (Pronounced OKH-in-LEK) are most likely to have come from the Gaelic Ach meaning an elevation, mound, or round hill, generally level at the top. Then leac means a flat stone or a tombstone. In several parts of Ayrshire may be traced the remains of cairns, encampments, and Druidical circles. Auchinleck appears to have been one of those places where the ancient Celts and Druids held conventions, celebrated their festivals, and performed acts of worship.
The Auchinleck family are on record at Affleck Castle since 1306. Affleck Castle was originally called Auchinleck Castle, dates from the 14th century. The Auchinlecks owned the property until sometime in the middle of the 1600s when it passed to the Reids. The castle is now unoccupied.
Patrick de Aghleke of Lanarkshire who also rendered homage in 1296 is again mentioned as Patrick de Achenlek , juror on inquest at Lanark in 1303. He is most likely the same Patrick de Auuynlec who witnessed resignation of the lands of Grenrvg around 1311.
In 1370 the lands of ‘le Greynryg et de le Tathys’ were resigned to Kelso Abbey by Adam de Aghynlek. Andrew Athelek and James Athelek of Scotland petitioned for safe conducts to travel in England in 1464.
There were also Afflecks in Angus, the first on record being John of Aghelek who paid homage in 1306. The Angus Afflecks were hereditary armour bearers of the Earls of Crawford. John Athlyk was burgess of Inverness in 1499.
Clan Auchinleck Posts