Clan Balfour History
The Balfour clan takes its name from the barony of the same name and is located near the joining of the rivers Ore and Leven in Fife.
The first record of the name is that of John de Balfure who appears on an assize in 1304, and there is note of a William de Balfure who witnessed a charter by Duncan, Earl of Fife (1331-1335).
Michael de Balfoure who witnessed a confirmation charter by David II to Ysabella de Fyf in 1365 is probably the same Michael de Balfwre who was present at the perambulation of the bounds of Kyrknes and Louchor in 1395.
A grant of the land of Balgarvy from James II (1437-1460) was given to John Balfour, whose descendants
held positions in the royal household and later became Balfour of Burleigh.
More than 20 branches of this family at various times posessed landed property in Fife.
James Arthur Balfour was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1902 until 1905.
Clan Balfour Posts