Clan Ged History
Laurence Ged was juror on an inquest at Peebles in 1304, James Ged was presbyter of St Andrews diocese in 1536, and Jhone Ged was dean of Edinburgh in 1552.
In 1562 William Ged was scourged through the streets of Dysart for deceiving his neighbours when selling horseflesh.
Thomas Ged was portioner of Fruchy in 1591, Robert Ged held the mill of Geddis milne in 1608, and William Ged of Baldrig was an elder in the parish of Dunfermline in 1643.
William Ged (1690 – 1749) invented stereotyping.
Ged’s son, James Ged, was a captain in the Duke of Perth’s regiment, and fought at Culloden in 1746. Following the Jacobean defeat Ged was captured and sentenced to death. Fortunately for James Ged, the Duke of Newcastle interceded, on account of William Ged’s work, and he was released in 1748.
The clan crest, which features a pike’s head is a pun on the name of the clan. A ged is term used in heraldry meaning pike.
Clan Ged Posts