Clan Stuart of Bute People
John MacDonald Stuart (1815-66)
When Fife-born Stuart came upon his fiancée and best friend kissing, he boarded the first available ship to Australia. With his training as a civil engineer the gained employment as a draughtsman for Charles Sturt, the explorer.
By 1858 he was making his own expeditions with exceptional abilities in speed, endurance, medicine, botany and astronomy. With £2000.95 offered as the prize for charting a route across the centre of Australia suitable for the proposed Overland Telegraph, Stuart became the first man to reach the centre of the continent.
It took him five attempts, however, before he made it successful from the South coast to the North on 25 July 1862. The return trip southward cost him his health and a year after returning to London he died. The Overland Telegraph was completed in 1872, using his route from Darwin to Adelaide.
Quick Links to Clan Stuart of Bute Products from The Clan Shop
- Stuart of Bute Tartan Tie
- Stuart of Bute Tartan Pocket Square Handkerchief
- Stuart of Bute Tartan Scarves
- Stuart of Bute Tartan Kilts
- Stuart of Bute Clan Crest Badge
- Stuart of Bute Clan Crest Mug
- Stuart of Bute Clan Crest T-Shirts
- Stuart of Bute Clan Crest Belt Buckle
- Stuart of Bute Phone Covers
- Stuart of Bute Clan Crest Crystal Glasses
- Stuart of Bute Clan Crest Cufflinks
- Stuart of Bute Clan Crest Sgain Dubh
- Stuart of Bute Clan Crest Kilt Pin
- Stuart of Bute Clan Crest Plaques