Cranshaws Tower, also known as Cranshaws Castle, is a peel tower that sits by the village of Cranshaws in Berwickshire.
The lands of Cranshaws originally part of the territory of the Earldom of Dunbar and March, before being held by Archibald Douglas, 4th Earl of Douglas (1372 – 1424). Douglas bestowed the lands upon Sir John Swinton, 14th of that Ilk in 1401. After Swinton’s death at the Battle of Homildon Hill in 1402 the lands passed to his son, also Sir John Swinton, 15th of that Ilk. It was the 15th Swinton that began the construction of the castle.
The castle is rectangular in shape, and is four storeys high. It has a crenellated parapet which was built some time in the latter half of the 19th century by the Mortons. It is thought to be the inspiration for Ravenswood Castle, the home of the hero of Sir Walter Scott‘s novel ‘The Bride of Lammermoor’, which was later turned into an opera by Donizetti in 1835 called ‘Lucia di Lammermoor’.
Cranshaws was held by the Swintons for over 300 years. It passed to a different Douglas branch, the Earls of Morton, in 1702. The castle was extensively renovated by George Douglas, 13th Earl of Morton (1662 – 1738).
Crawnshaws Tower is a private residence and is a category A listed building.