Wedderburn Castle, near Duns, Berwickshire, in the Scottish Borders, is an 18th-century country house. It is the historic family seat of the Home of Wedderburn family, cadets of the Home family (today Earls of Home).
Wedderburn Castle was designed and constructed 1771–5 by the famous architect brothers Robert Adam and James Adam, with the work superintendent being James Nisbet, for Patrick Home of Billie, who had already completed Paxton House (using James Adam and Nisbet, with Robert Adam doing the interiors c. 1773). Battlemented three-storey elevations in the typical Adam Castle style, the apparent symmetry conceals a rectangular courtyard, originally filled by the 17th century (or earlier) tower house, also known as Wedderburn castle, of which only a heraldic panel remains. It was demolished in the early 19th century leaving the courtyard, accessed through an archway at the back.
The five impressive reception rooms of Wedderburn Castle are beautifully-proportioned and offer an elegant backdrop for special occasions whilst retaining the charm and welcoming feel of a private home. Guests arrive into the Stair Hall and are greeted by the fabulous stone staircase sweeping gracefully up to the Minstrel’s Gallery, an impressive 100 foot long vaulted space dotted with Persian rugs and antiques.
At the heart of the interconnecting reception rooms is the magnificent drawing room with vast log fire, sumptuous sofas and double height windows offering fabulous views over parkland to the hills beyond. Adjoining the drawing room is the impressive dining room with beautiful William IV furnishings, magnificent marble chimneypiece and long oak table seating up to 27. Up to 48 guests can be seated in the dining room with additional tables set out around the room.
The spectacular ballroom graced with marbled columns and crystal chandeliers is an outstanding venue for formal banquets, drinks receptions and dances. The ballroom can accommodate up to 92 guests seated for formal dining or theatre style for weddings or corporate events. Beautifully-restored barns in the grounds will also provide space for up to 150 guests.
Each of the 12 bedrooms at Wedderburn has its own individual charm ranging in style from grand state rooms to pretty country house chic to the classic ‘Glorious 12th bedroom’ adorned with Home tartan. Each room oozes charm and character with luxury fabrics and fabulous antique items which date back to the 1770s including two original Chippendale beds.
Each bedroom has its own bath or shower room including four feature bathrooms in the octagonal castle turrets. Each one is individually designed ranging from sleek limestone-clad shower rooms to a pretty bathroom with original roll top bath and original William Morris wallpaper from 1898.
The Earls of Douglas had the feudal superiority of the lands of Wedderburn circa 1413, when Archibald Douglas, 4th Earl of Douglas granted them as a feu to “his esquire, David de Home”. In a charter dated at Dunbar Castle 29 February 1413, George de Dunbar, Earl of March, confirmed the previous charter granted by “his beloved brother, Archibald, Earl of Douglas”, the superiority having passed, by forfeiture, from the Dunbar family to Douglas.
By 1550 the Homes had acquired the superiority of Wedderburn as is indicated by a Sasine in favour of David Home, brother-German and heir of George Home of Wedderburn, who was killed at the Battle of Pinkie, where it is stated that the heir and his brother held it of the Crown in chief.
Daughters of this branch of the Home family would keep Home and add it to their married name—hence subsequent generations of the family having variations including Foreman Home, Milne Home, Home Robertson, and Home Miller. The current owner is David Home Miller, son of the previous owner, Georgina Home Robertson.