Clan Fenton History
The first record of the name is that of John de Fenton who was sheriff of Forfar in 1261.
Around 1270 Sir William de Fentone married Cecelia de Bisset, daughter of Sir John Bisset of Lovat, aquiring the estate of Beaufort. Sir William also swore fealty to the king of England in 1291 and rendered homage in 1296.
Alexander de Fentoun witnessed a donation by Henry de Aynstrother to Dryburgh in 1330 and in 1362 William de Fenton gifted the lands of Linross to the chapel of Baikie in Airlie.
In 1413 William of Fentoun, lord of that Ilk aquired the lands of Quodquen in Clydesdale.
John de Fentoun was burgess of Edinburgh in 1426.
Clan Fenton Posts