Clan Brown Places
Bruntsfield House, Edinburgh, a one-time stronghold of Clan Brown. Bruntsfield takes its name from the Browns/Brouns - 'Broun's Field'. Richard Broun owned the lands that the House was built upon, before they were granted to Alan Lauder of Haltoun in 1381.
Carsluith Castle in Galloway, was first built by James Lindsay of Fairgirth in either the late 1400s or early 1500s. The castle passed to his son, Herbert Lindsay, who died at the Battle of Flodden in 1513. After that Carsluith passed to Richard Brown via marriage. The Browns added to the castle, turning it into a stronger fortification. Carsluith Castle remained in the Brown family until they emigrated to India in 1748, and the castle has remained abandoned ever since. All that now remains are the castle's ruins.