Also found as Byers and Buyers, the name is derived from the old barony of Byres in East Lothian.
John de Byres appears as a monk of Neubotle in 1309. Thomas de Byris owned a tenement in Edinburgh in 1392 and in 1534 Thomas Byres was admitted burgess of Aberdeen.
George Byris and Thomas Byris were ministers of Legertwood in Berwickshire bertween 1593 and 1653.
John Byres was an eminent merchant in Edinburgh, treasurer, dean of guild and Provost during the 17th century.
In 1694 Andrew Byers is recorded as a burgess of Cupar.