Clan Campbell People
Sir Henry Campbell–Bannerman (1836-1908)
The Prime Minister of Great Britain from 1905-1908 was born in Glasgow with a future Lord Provost as a father. To inherit the fortune of a deceased uncle he hyphenated his father’s Campbell with his mother’s name Bannerman.
He studied in Glasgow and Cambridge before becoming the liberal MP for Stirling for the rest of his life. He held a range of ministerial positions during his career and recieved a knighthood in 1895. He was described as a strenuous fighter and supporter of the suffragette movement and self-government for the Boers.
Whilst Prime Minister his cabinet included Winston Churchill, Lloyd George and Henry Herbert Asquith, but with his health deteriorating he had to resign from politics and was dead within a fortnight.
Sir Colin Campbell, Lord Clyde (1792-1863) - pictured top
There is a story that Colin MacIver took on his mother’s maiden name after the Duke of York told him that Campbell was a good name for a soldier. As Colin Campbell, the Glasgow carpenter’s son rose through the ranks of the British Army to be eventually created Field Marshall in 1862.
He fought with distinction in China and the West Indies, India and the Crimea where he won the Battle of Alma leading the Highland Brigade and onwards with ‘the Thin Red Line’ at Balaclava, opposing the Russian Cavalry. His body lies in Westminster Abbey and he is regarded as a military giant of Britain's Empire in the middle 19th Century.
Sir Malcolm Brown Campbell (1848-1935)
The creator of the famous Malcolm Campbell grocery chain has a rags to riches story. From his birth in Kilwinning, Ayrshire and running errands for a greengrocer in Glasgow, he developed fruit and vegetable sales by trying to bring the World’s products to the high street. He was the man who made Bananas available in Scotland. An important part of his success was his targetting of railway stations as idea sites for his kiosks. For his achievements he was knighted in 1922.
Angus Campbell (1903-82)
Born in the town of Ness on the Isle of Lewis and known as Am Puilean, Angus Campbell’s poetry and writing drew on his experiences in youth and as a prisoner of war in Poland during the Second World War. In 1972 a collection of his poetry in Gaelic was published, entitled ‘Chaff & Wheat’ The following year his autobiography ‘Touching Many Headlands’ was published.
Clan Campbell Places
Cawdor Castle, near Nairn, was first built sometime in the 15th century, with the earliest record of the castle being in 1454, when William Calder, 6th Thane of Cawdor, was granted a 'licence to fortify'. However, there is evidence that some parts of the fortress may date to the late 1300s.
The castle passed to the Campbells via marriage, when the Calder heiress, Muriel Calder, married Sir John Campbell in 1510. It remains in the Campbell family to this day.
The family home had been this stronghold castle covering an entire, small island on Loch Awe called Innis Chonnell. Behind it climbs the peaks of Cruachan Beann, the hills from which the Campbells took their war cry.
The castle's ruins are still visible amongst the trees on Innis Chonnell. It was the seat of Sir Colin Campbell – who was killed at The Battle of Red Ford – and it is the earliest stronghold of the Campbells, until it was abandoned during the 15th century.
The 1st Earl of Argyll, purchased Glowm in Clackmannanshire (later to be called Castle Campbell), which became the Campbell’s seat in the Lowlands from the 15th to the 19th century. The position of Glown (Castle Campbell) suited the Earl’s need for attending court.
The 1st Earl of Argyll was instrumental in destroying the power of his long-time rivals the MacDonalds, Lords of the Isles.
There has been a castle on these lands at Inveraray since at least the 15th century, which King James V visited in 1533. The current Inveraray Castle replaced the old fortress, and was built between 1743 and 1746. The castle's architectural style is Gothic Revival, and is one of the earliest examples of it in the world. Inveraray Castle has been the seat of the Campbell Dukes of Argyll since the 18th century, and his a home of the present chief, the 13th Duke of Argyll, Torquhil Campbell.