Clan Calder Places
Cawdor Castle, near Nairn, was first built sometime in the 15th century, with the earliest record of the castle being in 1454, when William Calder, 6th Thane of Cawdor, was granted a 'licence to fortify'. However, there is evidence that some parts of the fortress may date to the late 1300s.
The castle passed to the Campbells via marriage, when the Calder heiress, Muriel Calder, married Sir John Campbell in 1510. It remains in the Campbell family to this day.