In 1296, when Edward I invaded Scotland, the names of John de Inglis, Walter de Inglis and Philip de inglis are recorded as owning a great deal of land.
During the early 14th century there was an Inglis family living in Douglasdale, Lanarkshire, along with the Douglases. Douglasdale was at this time being frequently invaded and held by the English. The Inglises did the Douglases a great service when one of them overheard an English plot to take the castle, and sent a warning at great personal risk. The Inglises were asked to name their reward, and were granted a part of the local church, St Brides, as their family burial place. The Inglis coat of arms can be seen on the wall of the south transept to this day.
During the reign of Robert the Second and Third, in 1395, Sir William Inglis duelled with Sir Thomas Struthers, killing the English champion. As a reward, the family was given the Barony of Manner by royal charter the following year, thereafter tracing their descent from Sir William. The family had for some time been followers of the Douglases, and now strengthened this association by adding the three Douglas stars to their own coat of arms.
The Barony was finally sold in 1707, when Chiefship was given to Charles Inglis of Craigend, an edinburgh lawyer who died in 1743.
A prosperous branch of the family lived in Crammond, Edinburgh, since purchasing land from the Bishop of Dunkeld in 1624.
In 1680 John Inglis built Crammond House near the Bishop’s palace, and a short time later, in 1687, Sir James Inglis received a baronetcy. Sir James’s son later became Postmaster General of Scotland until 1725.
Charles Inglis of Crammond (1731-1791), served as a Rear-Admiral during the Spanish and French wars.
In 1817, the Baronetcy ended due to the absence of a male heir. The Estate was inherited by Lady Torphicen, who was the daughter of Sir John Inglis.
Other well known Inglises include Leiut-General Sir William Inglis who fought in the Peninsular Wars, John Inglis, who was Lord Justice General of Scotland in 1867, and Elsie Inglis.
Elsie Inglis was a medical student of Edinburgh and Glasgow Universities when very few women were admitted. She founded a maternity hospital in Edinburgh staffed entirely by women, and in 1906 founded the Scottish Women’s Suffragette Movement. She was also responsible for setting up three military hospitals when stationed in Serbia during the First World War.
Crammond House now belongs to Crammond Kirk and is still in use.
Craigend Castle in Mugdock Park was the home of the Inglis Family in that area, and later passed to the Buchanans.