The first recorded spelling of the family name Masterton is shown in 1296 when William de Mastertone, or de Meystertone, from Fife rendered homage for his possessions. A lion rampant with a rose in front and his name S’ Will’i de Maisterton appear on his seal. The descendants of William de Mastertone held Masterton till the sixteenth century.
The Masterton family was one of note in the Dunfermline area before the Reformation. In 1316, a Duncan de Maysterton was witness to the homage of Duncan, Earl of Fife to the abbot of Dunfermline.
A Symon de Maysterton, a rector, was a witness in 1357, and Sir Thomas Masterton, in 1476, was a canon regular of Cambuskenneth.
Soon after the Reformation, Alexander Masterton of Beath (born 1604), probably a descendant of Masterton of that Ilk, had a feu-charter of part of Grange. Alexander married Catherine Brown and together they had 11 children. They all lived Dunfermline, Fife. They were the Mastertons of Grange. Adam Masterton of the Grange registered a Coat of Arms which was ‘argent, a chevron between two crescents in chief and a mullet in base gules, on a chief azure an eagle displayed or’.
Sir Thomas Masterton was a Canon of Cambuskenneth in 1476 and the Mastertons were a family of note in the Dunfermline district before the Reformation.
Adam Masterton of Parkmill, owned land in Parkmill, Clackmannan around 1547, his representative France of that place, registered arms in 1672: ‘argent, a chevron gules and a chief azure’. Adam had 3 Children the oldest of Ranald Masterton of Bad. Ronald becomes the father of Robert Masterton of Bad.
In 1588, Robert Masterton of Bad uses the seal of an eagle displayed impaling a chevron with a crescent in chief or on a chief.
View from Masterton over the Forth.
Interestingly there is a Masterton in New Zealand, 100 kilometres north-east of Wellington, Masterton was founded in 1854 by the Small Farms Association. The association was led by Joseph Masters – after whom the town was named. So probably no relation to the Mastertons in Fife.