Lachlan gave his name not only to the clan, but also to Lachlan Water, Lachlan Bay, the village of Strathlachlan and Castle Lachlan.
By the fifteenth century the chiefs of the clan were known as “the Lords of Strathlachlan”, and were linked closely with the church, being especially generous to the preaching friars of Glasgow. In addition to these ecclesiastical links, the MacLachlan clan made shrewd political alliances, and flourished through their support for Robert the Bruce.
The MacLachlans also ensured their position as a powerful force in Scotland by allying themselves to the powerful Campbell clan. The MacLachlan clansmen were renowned for their loyalty to the Stewarts, and the MacLachlan chief was present when James VIII, the ‘Old Pretender’ raised his standard in Scotland in 1715.
Lachlan MacLachlan, the seventeenth chief of the clan was appointed to the staff of Charles Edward Stewart as commissary-general. He led 300 of his clansmen to Culloden, where he perished.
In the aftermath of Culloden, Castle Lachlan was burned on the orders of the Duke of Cumberland, and the chief’s family forced to flee. However, through the intercession of long-standing allies, the Campbells, the lands were eventually reinstated and a new Castle Lachlan was built, in sight of the ruins of the original castle.