Barnbougle Castle has been greatly altered over it's life. It is a tower house on the southern shore of the Firth of Forth, between Cramond and Queensferry.
Bavelaw Castle is a historic house, north of Hare Hill and The Pentland Hills. An earlier structure was held by the Braids, then by the Fairlies, but passed to the Forresters of Niddry by marriage. From them, it went to the Mowbrays of Barnbougle in the 16th century. Before Easter and Wester Bavelaw were granted by King James VI to Laurence Scott of Harperrig in 1628, a 16th-century L-plan tower house had been built by Walter Dundas.